1. What is the IUPAC name of the following compound?
2. What is the IUPAC name of the following compound?
3. Which of the following Newman projections represents the most stable conformation of 2,3-dimethylbutane?
4. Which of the following cycloalkanes has the least ring strain?
5. Which of the following is the most stable conformation of trans-1-ethyl-3-methylcyclohexane?
6. What is the IUPAC name for the following compound?
7. Which one of the following structures represents a different compound from
the other three?
8. Which of the following compounds can adopt a chair conformation in which there are no axial methyl groups?
9. Which of the following statements is not true regarding the conformation of substituted cyclohexanes?
(A) ring inversion of cyclohexanes between two chair conformations takes place via a boat conformation
(B) substituted cyclohexanes are destabilized by 1,3-diaxial interactions
(C) the boat conformation of cyclohexane is more stable than the chair conformation
(D) the relative amount of two conformations of substituted cyclohexanes can be determined from the difference in strain energy
10. Which of the following is not true regarding the properties of alkanes?
(A) alkanes are nonpolar
(B) alkanes burn in air to give H2O and CO2
(C) alkanes are highly miscible with water
(D) the strongest intermolecular force between alkane molecules is the van der Waals interaction